Trying to hire the right contractor to work on your home can sometimes be a daunting task. As a homeowner, if you don’t hire someone with the right qualifications, you can put yourself at risk. Before you hire a contractor, make sure you have completely researched him/her and his/her company.
Here are some important credentials to check out before signing the contract:
- Make sure the contractor has a license. Hiring an uninsured contractor can potentially cause problems and risks.
- Get the license number, name of contractor, name of company, phone number, and address so that you can confirm legitimacy of the company.
- Call the Contractors State License Board and BBB to check for any complaints, and past or pending lawsuits.
- Ask the contractor to provide client references, as well as supplier references so that you can check him out.
- Make sure the contractor will obtain the necessary permits before starting the job so that you don’t have to be concerned with doing it yourself.
- Find out if the contractor/company is insured for Workers Compensation and General Liability. Make sure the subcontractors are also insured; otherwise you may be liable if there are any injuries on your property.
- Ask the contractor to provide a complete fixed price contract with start and end dates, and accurate design drawings so that everything that is agreed upon is clearly stated and in one place.
- Find out what the warranty policy is.
- Find out what the policy is for changes that need to be made, but is already defined in the contract.
- Make sure there is a No Smoking, No Drinking, and No Drug policy on the job.
- Confirm that the job site will be cleaned up at the end of each day to ensure safety and orderliness.
- Make sure the contractor is someone you will be comfortable with having yourself and/or your children around.
Shopping for contractors takes time and effort, but is a necessary duty. You will be glad you did it when everything goes smoothly and efficiently, and you can enjoy the results of a job well done.
For over 34 years, McBride Construction Inc. has provided superior quality construction and remodeling service in Northern Michigan. We have succeeded in consistently delivering a first-class product and our reward is that our clients return for generations and refer their discerning friends. Contact us about your remodeling project today!